Earthlight on the New Moon

Sky News from Paul

All,

Earthlight on the New Moon

I did a trial stack with the new moon tonight, a slight improvement on each frame, but now I know how to create a very good image given a day or two, by separating out each component and recombining downstream. I also attached a shot of the overall view, Scorpius, Antares and Jupiter, showing the light pollution on our house and TV antennae. The moon is useless at 10 seconds on a wide shot of course. Again a need arises for substituting the moon components, which I took at different exposures for later process. Those pics and their larger versions are on
http://www.astronomy.net.nz/ now.

Red Rainbow in the sunset – Uenuku and Aniwaniwa
I cant show the really good pic that was sent to me today, as it’s a red rainbow. It’s a very special rainbow, shot in last nights sunset and sent 10 minutes later to me by Simon Baumfield, he was the diver that also took pics of the Whale (and the DNA samples) in Wellington Harbour yesterday. But you can see it on our site at
http://www.sky.org.nz It is relatively rare, anyone else seen a red rainbow in NZ??

Monster of the Deep – A 12 Metre southern right whale at Te Rae Kai Hau Point
And the other pics I cant show you are 3 of the whale itself, sent to me tonight, not astronomic in some ways, but an intrinsic part of Maori Navigation so it has a valid connection in my view. I can say that the shots are awesome, and the best is being published with one of my sunsets in a new calendar to raise funds for STP (Save The Point Organisation), cool. So in another way, both those non-astro shots are also connected to astronomy, as saving the point will protect us from increased light pollution. It looks like we may have to go to the high court, the madness seems to persist. Story at
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4237494a10.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 2023 News and research papers

RASNZ E-Newsletter

October 2023 News research papers and Starcharts.